Little Mountain Explorer
Bicycling route in Lexington and Newberry counties, SC
The Dutch Fork area contains a string of towns south of I-26 between Saint Andrews and Newberry. One of the most interesting of them is Little Mountain, a town which many people have heard of, but few have visited. This cycling route begins at Little Mountain Park, home of the town's annual Reunion festival. From there, it goes through a residential area, and then heads south out of town.
As you ride down secondary road #73 around the mountain for which the town was named, the scenery will resemble that found in the upstate. Some of the views are really nice in the fall. Beyond the mountain, you will ride through some relatively unpopulated areas of Lexington County. There will be more houses along the road as you approach Lake Murray, including several expensive lakefront developments. Road #571 takes you into Dreher Island State Recreation Area.
The return portion of the trip runs through some sparsely populated areas, and is less hilly that the earlier part. Coming back on road #271 is one of the best views of the mountain. The very last part of the ride does go up a hill, however!
- Leave Little Mountain Park. Go east on South Boundary Street 0.2 miles (0.3 km).
- Turn right. Go south on Mountain Street (#73) 1.8 miles (2.9 km).
- Go straight on Dreher Island Road (#231) 5.2 miles (8.4 km) to the Adams Camp Bridge.
- Continue west on Dreher Island Road (#15) 0.5 miles (0.8 km).
- Turn left. Go southeast on State Park Road (#571) 2.8 miles (4.5 km) to the entrance to Dreher Island State Recreation Area.
- Continue south on State Park Road 0.72 miles (0.4 km) across the bridge to a wye intersection.
- Turn right. Continue south on State Park Road 0.48 miles (0.8 km).
- Turn left. Go north on State Park Loop 0.47 miles (0.8 km).
- Turn right. Go north on State Park Road 0.12 miles (0.2 km).
- Get on the paved bicycle path that forks to the right. Go north 0.11 miles (0.2 km) across the bridge to the end of the path.
- Turn left. Go west on Park Marina Drive a short distance.
- Turn right. Go north on State Park Road 0.5 miles (0.8 km) to the park gate.
- Continue northwest on State Park Road (#571) 1.8 miles (2.9 km).
- Turn left. Go southwest on Doc Fulmer Road (#571 conn.) 0.3 miles (0.5 km).
- Turn right. Go northwest on Macedonia Church Road (#26) 2.4 miles (3.9 km).
- Turn right. Go northeast on Wheeland Road (#20) 3.6 miles (5.8 km).
- Turn right. Go northeast on Mill Road (#271) 2.7 miles (4.3 km).
- Enter Little Mountain Park.
More Bicycling routes