North Augusta Explorer
Bicycling route in Aiken County, SC and Richmond County, GA
In only 81/2 miles, this route takes you through an amazing variety of scenery in two states. It starts at a large athletic complex, then immediately enters the deep woods. You go through a residential area briefly, then cross over the Savannah River into Georgia. Almost right away, you are in Augusta's central business district. Just over a mile down the road, you enter the historic Olde Town residential area. The return trip follows a similar route, but also passes by an upscale golf course.
This route also offers many opportunities for side trips. Augusta's Riverwalk, just two blocks north of Broad Street, is very impressive. Note that in the Riverwalk area, bicycles are permitted only along the top of the dike.
Traffic can get quite heavy along the bridge over the Savannah River. If you find this unsettling, just pick up your bike and push it along the sidewalk. Most of the route has tolerable traffic levels, though.
- Begin in front of the gymnasium in North Augusta's Riverview Park.
- Go southeast on the bike path that runs under the bridge for 0.8 miles (1.4 km.).
- When you get to the bridge, turn left and go a short distance.
- Turn right. Go east on Bluff Avenue 0.5 miles (0.7 km.).
- Turn right. Go south on Georgia Avenue / 13th Street 0.9 miles (1.5 km.).
- Turn left. Go east on Greene Street 1.5 miles (2.4 km.).
- Turn left. Go north on 2nd Street 2 blocks (0.2 km.).
- Turn left. Go west on Broad Street (GA #28) 1.5 miles (2.4 km.).
- Turn right. Go north on 13th Street / Georgia Avenue 1.0 miles (1.6 km.).
- Turn right. Go east on Buena Vista Avenue 0.4 miles (0.6 km.).
- Turn right. Go southwest on the bike trail that parallels Riverside Blvd. 0.4 miles (0.6 km.). You will seel a large sign for the "North Augusta Greeneway".
- Turn right. Go northwest, through the tunnel, and continue along the bike trail 1.4 miles (2.2 km.).
- You are now back at the Riverview Park.
More Bicycling routes